Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Honey Whole Wheat Bagels

I just love bagels but they can get expensive with a large family. I figured I had 2 choices, continue hiding them from the kids or learn how to make inexpensively & in large batches. I also wanted them to be healthier. I found out not long ago that my store bought bagels contain cellulose, yuck! When I ran across a Whole Wheat recipe the other day, I knew I had to try it.


I actually combined a few recipes. I found one with the ingredients I wanted but I didn't like the directions. So I searched out other recipes & came up with some awesome whole-wheat bagels!


Best of all.... I usually pay $3.45 for 5 pack of bagels at the store. I made a double batch of these & it cost approximately $3.50 for 20 bagels! That's what I call cost effective!
(You can make regular bagels simply by replacing the whole wheat flour with bread flour 
& the honey with sugar. For best results still use the Tbls of honey in the boiling water)

Ingredients~
4 1/2  cups whole wheat flour
1 pkg dry active yeast
1 1/2 cups very warm (not hot) water
4 Tablespoons honey + 1 Tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon sea salt


1 egg
1 Tbsp water

Directions~
In a small bowl, mix yeast and warm water together and let stand 3 minutes.
Mix together 2 cups of flour, salt & yeast/water mixture, slowly combining the remaining flour.
Turn out onto a floured surface & knead until smooth & elastic (approx 5 minutes)
Place the dough in an oiled bowl & allow to rest until it doubles in size. (I waited 45 minutes)

Punch down the dough (if adding anything, like cinnamon & raisins, now is the time).
Divide dough and shape into 10 balls & allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Begin shaping each bagel by stick your finger in the middle of the ball and pulling it apart to create about a 2 inch hole. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

In the mean time, put on a pot of water to boil, adding 1 tablespoon of honey to the water.
After 10 minutes, drop 4 bagels at a time into the boiling water for about 45 seconds, turning each once half way through. Drain on a wire rack or cloth.

Mix egg & water. Brush onto tops of bagels & place onto a well greased baking sheet, a silicone cookie sheet would be optimal, they stuck just a bit on my aluminum ones.
Bake @ 350 for 20-30 minutes, turning once. Keep an eye on them past 20 minutes.


Here are my pics. I tweeked the recipes as I went so they aren't as pretty or smooth as they should be. They do taste WONDERFUL though!


Ready for boiling! Yours will be smoother if you kneaded for the full 5 minutes.

Boiling time! Don't over or under boil or they'll be hard as rocks after baking!

Don't these look wonderful?!? They smell yummy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment