I remember eating this as a child with my grandmother. I've never found her recipe but this one is extremely close if not exact.
* 5 cups milk
* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup butter
* 12 ounces beef lunch meat (such as Carl Buddig ®)
* 16 slices bread, toasted
1. Whisk the milk, flour, salt, and pepper together in a bowl until smooth.
2. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Gradually stir in the milk mixture until thick. Add the beef; cook and stir until heated through, about 5 minutes. Pour over toast to serve.